Reporting to Chief Architect, this individual will provide overall direction, guidance and definition of implementing the architecture that effectively supports the Corporate Business Strategy in the context of projects. This person will interface across several business areas, acting as visionary to proactively assist in defining the direction for future projects. Ideal candidate is expected to do hands on development when needed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Researching, analyzing, designing, proposing, and delivering solutions that are appropriate for the business and technology strategies.
- Conceive solutions, build consensus, and sell/execute solutions.
- Should be able to contribute to hands on development.
- Involvement in all aspects of the project life cycle, from the initial kickoff through the requirement analysis, design and implementation.
- Participation on multiple project teams, including creating value with technology, designing and modeling solutions, component identification, quality reviews, and adherence to guidelines and procedures.
- Focusing on strategies for creating value: product, distribution, Agency and Customer Interfaces.
- Researching and evaluating software/hardware products to assist in project development and operational support activities.
- Work with Chief Architect in researching industry trends and directions.
- Recommending new tools, methodologies, technologies, data and platforms.
- Supporting the selection of tools and components used for an IT project.
- Providing input on options, risk, cost vs. benefits, and impacts on other processes for buy vs. build decisions.
- Analyzing the current architecture to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for improvements such as expanding capacity, predictability, reducing time & cost, and increasing effectiveness.
Qualifications and Education
- 5 to 7 Years of Experience in technology architecture (10 – 15 years in the technology field).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Property & Casualty experience a plus.
- Strong J2EE and SOA Experience required.
- Application Integration experience.
- EAP, WebSphere and Tomcat experience.
- Drools rules engine.
- Policy, Claims and Billing experience is a plus.
- Publishing Systems experience a plus.
- Need to be a self-starter and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail.
- Good understanding of Security standards.
- Some exposure to RAD Development tools.
- Experience with Database Architecture is a plus.
- Familiarity with Web content management, and Document management and collaboration tools.
- Significant business knowledge and have one or more areas of technical expertise in which they concentrate. These technical areas may include network, security, applications and systems software, data and Internet.
About the Company
The Plymouth Rock Company and its affiliated group of companies write and manage over $1.4 billion in personal and commercial auto and homeowner’s insurance throughout the Northeast and mid-Atlantic, where we have built an unparalleled reputation for service. We continuously invest in technology, our employees thrive in our empowering environment, and our customers are among the most loyal in the industry. The Plymouth Rock group of companies employs more than 1,800 people and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Plymouth Rock Assurance Corporation holds an A.M. Best rating of “A-/Excellent”.