Sr. Data Scientist
**Expertise may be gained during graduate program**
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Use internal and external data to build new predictive models and develop analytical modeling techniques for insurance pure premiums, customer life time value, survival analysis, customer buying behaviors and other insurance-related areas.
- Utilize Advanced Statistical Methods, Survival Analysis, SAS, and R to build multivariate predictive models to aid in the development of insurance pricing.
- Develop customized computer programs for various statistical analyses.
- Implement and cluster actuarial variables in insurance product pricing models to identify new variables with the potential to enhance model predictions.
- Collaborate with members of other departments to streamline insurance model pricing.
- Analyze data on the safety and potential replacement cost of personal passenger vehicles to control company costs.
- Utilize geocoding software to develop spatial statistical models in order to determine which insurance premiums are the most loss-prone.
Qualifications and Education
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, or a related field (foreign educational equivalent accepted) and two (2) years of experience building statistical predictive models, or, in the alternative, a Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, or a related field (foreign educational equivalent accepted) and five (5) years of experience as described above.
- This position requires demonstrated expertise: developing predictive and forecast analytics models for pricing, market segmentation, and risk analysis; DE performing machine learning and advanced statistical modeling, including stochastic, linear, generalized-linear and Bayesian models, classification and regression trees; DE performing programming in SAS, R, and MATLAB for building code and algorithms to implement statistical models on large multivariate datasets; and DE performing data visualization using Tableau, presenting business results and providing actionable recommendations to company senior management.
About the Company
The Plymouth Rock Company and its affiliated group of companies write and manage over $1.4 billion in personal and commercial auto and homeowner’s insurance throughout the Northeast and mid-Atlantic, where we have built an unparalleled reputation for service. We continuously invest in technology, our employees thrive in our empowering environment, and our customers are among the most loyal in the industry. The Plymouth Rock group of companies employs more than 1,800 people and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Plymouth Rock Assurance Corporation holds an A.M. Best rating of “A-/Excellent”.